Thursday, February 18, 2010

Black History Month Special: Remember the Jamaican Bobsled Team?


I love the information technology age.

I was lounging and flipping channels the other day, and settled on the Olympics. Just a few minutes into watching the speed skaters (who are just so damn cool in their form as they skate their laps), I wondered: Are there any black people in the Winter Olympics? I didn't spend much pondering. Instead, I did my most favorite thing...

Google it.

And what to my wondering eyes should appear? The folks over at TheRoot.com have just covered the story: Vancouver 2010: Black Athletes in the Winter Olympics.

It seems like black folk are mostly figure skaters, bobsledders, and ice hockey players. There are a couple participating in other sports (like a Ghanaian and a Senegalese in the Alpine Skiing), but it looks like us indigenously warm weather folks stick to the basics.

Check out the article and learn somethin' new like I did. There are lots of black firsts in the Winter Olympics.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin