Thursday, February 5, 2009

Oh Etta... Oh Beyonce

Now I don't usually care about celebrity gossip, but I have to share with you (if you haven't already heard) about one black woman tearing another one down. Here's the already infamous quote from Ms. Etta James:

"You guys know your president, right?" she asked the crowd amid cheers (listen to it here. "You know the one with the big ears? Wait a minute, he ain't my president, he might be yours, he ain't my president. You know that woman he had singing for him, singing my song -- she's gonna get her a-- whipped. The great Beyoncé ... But I can't stand Beyoncé. She has no business up there, singing up there on a big ol' president day ... singing my song that I've been singing forever."


You see, I understand that Etta felt Beyonce was encroaching upon her territory, but didn't she know Mrs. Knowles-Carter played her in a movie and sang that song? The more important question is: doesn't she know the kind of A+ marketing game Beyonce has going on? Did Ms. James honestly believe B wasn't gonna promote her most recent venture while the entire nation was watching?

To top it off, Beyonce was pitch perfect, leaving behind her screaming and melodramatic tendencies on this special occasion.

Now trust me, I'm not Beyonce's biggest fan, but you have to be a fool and a serious hater to disregard the fact that she IS pop's diva and one of the hardest working women in show business, with some of the hardest working people working for her.

And I know Beyonce's record isn't all sparkly clean (we all know she claims to write every song even when we know she didn't), but I'm sure she didn't mean any disrespect Ms. James. I'm sure.

So how about we lift one another up, instead of being bitter? Okay? Thanks.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin