Saturday, September 6, 2008

Potatoes for Breakfast

It's been a while since I've blogged, but school is beginning to take over my life. In the midst of the business though, I still find time to make good food. I just had a fantastic brunch and I wanted to share with you my take on homemade hash browns:

General Notes on My Recipes: Portion sizes are generally for one or two (multiply as necessary); measuring is rarely exact (taste it or eye ball it); ingredients can always be exchanged for what you prefer or what you have (be creative); don't be mad at me if it didn't turn out right (you made it, not me!).

Spicy Hash Browns with Romano Cheese

Cut your favorite potatoes (white or red) into bite size pieces (enough to feed whomever you are cooking for). Place potatoes in a sauce pan and fill with water until the potatoes are just covered. Turn heat on high, cover and boil the potatoes. After boiling for a few minutes, take the top off and allow it to continue to cook until the water evaporates. You'll know if the potatoes are done by how easily you can stick a fork in them and break them a part.

While the potatoes are cooking, chop up some onion, garlic, green bell pepper, and serrano pepper. Use as much of the serrano as you want it spicy, but remember it's spicy! When the water has just evaporated from the pan, turn heat down to medium-low and add some olive oil so that the bottom of the pan is covered. Add in onion, garlic and peppers. Season with a smidget of salt (you don't need a lot) and garlic powder. Stir it all up and continue cooking until veggies are cooked through. Remove potatoes from heat and place on serving dish/plate. Crumble lots of pecorino romano cheese on top.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Stan said...

sounds good, but I don't see where the "brown" comes in. Hash browns are usually a pan fried or at least a sauteed type of potato dish. You'll have to serve it to us next time you're home.
dad

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin