Monday, November 14, 2011

The Day After


I don’t want to leave this place. This intense place where I sleep hard because I’m so tired from the day. Then, I dream in detail of the work, and when I re-hash the dream play-by-play during my waking thoughts I have solutions to problems spots; wholes are filled. I don’t want to leave this place where any and everything that I read and see becomes fodder for creating. I see one dance show and it puts my work in perspective. I read a chapter from another book and it’s like a message from God.  It’s like Never Never Land, except I’m not Peter Pan who just plays in this world. I’m Tinkerbell. I hold the magic.

Except I can’t stay in Never Never Land. At all. I’m pulled out by the fact that I have responsibilities. Though the only responsibility that I can seem to tend to with any consistency these past few weeks is my job: my Tuesday & Thursday 9-11, then 12-4:30 and my Monday & Wednesday 3-6. All the other time is laser vision focused on the project. Everything else in my life is literally strewn about with little to no order. I can’t find anything. Nothing is organized. Nothing is on time. Clothes and books and papers and bills are haphazardly swirling around me making me anxious and unsettled, but I have had no desire to tend to them until about 5 minutes ago... and even then I told myself, after another good night's rest.


I watched "A Good Man" today, the newest PBS documentary following Bill T. Jones. I sat on the couch with my lap top up, taking notes on the same page I took notes last night with my Works In Process audience. I was in class. Learning from who PBS and a lot of other folks have deemed a "master" choreographer. Maybe. Maybe mostly because he is twice my age and has been presenting dances for longer than my life. Maybe really because he makes the work I love to see, and live to make. A dance that can be read like a book.

Still. I saw myself in him. I saw myself in him wrapped up in a process where he is engrossed and constantly taking in new information: reading and talking and observing and maybe haunted and conflicted and thrilled and nervous and vulnerable and sometimes not knowing what the hell to do. But I think if he has it his way - and clearly he does - he doesn't leave Never Never Land either. 

And so on the eve of the morning where I have to make myself get up early and be productive in traditional responsible ways, I dream about how I can stay in Never Never Land forever, and support myself. I wonder is it possible, really really possible to make money and maintain a healthy, organized life while being in this all consuming place? 

3 comments:

Lady L said...

Yes it's possible! and you'll get there. glad you're already enjoying the journey...

dawnne46 said...

In your appointed time.

admin said...

Nice Post! Keep Sharing these Types of Good Articles.
GadgetDealers.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin