Friday, July 16, 2010

hey, you. can I get a smile?

Fellow artist, Leah King, responded to my post last week Just don't say "Hello." explaining that she is dealing with the ideas I discuss in my post through art. Her one woman show "hey, you can I get a smile?" is about "street harassment, sexual identity, public space and women's empowerment." I am so glad that she is choosing to address this issue in a public forum... something to get the conversation started about the street culture that women are subject to when they step outside their door everyday.

Each day on twitter another woman tweets about her experiences and though the stories often provide a bit of comic relief, the truth is, it's just sad. Why is it that some men just don't know what to say out of their mouths? What happened to RESPECT? Who failed to teach it? Or do they know better and just completely diregard it?

@SherriEShepherd A man walked by...I said "Good morning". He said "U gon' let me hit that tonite?" And then he calls me a B-tch because I don't respond WHAT!

@LindsayNYC A guy once meowed at me. No joke. I mean, I love cats and all, but really? So weird!

@pinktheatre I once had a guy walk up behind me and ask for my underwear. Thought I couldn't hear over earphones but I did.

@sistertoldja This man told me I looked Afrocentric and added "I bet you know what an ankh is." DEAD. BURIED. ASE.

@Bmorefab Dude to me on the metro. Him: can I call u. Me: um. No thanks. Him: y u got a bf? Me: blank stare. Him: alright ho. < I can't.

@ejax Can't walk more than 5 seconds without a brotha givin a holla to this "sista".

Leah's show premieres Thursday September 16, 2010 at Littlefield (622 Degraw St, Brooklyn). Doors 7pm, Show 7:30pm. For more information, click the links.

I'll certainly be there. Will you?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin