Thursday, August 6, 2015

Joy (thoughts after Professional Development)

I never intentionally set out to build a company of women, but after 11 years of women's education I suppose it was in my DNA. The more dances I have made over the years, the more I have needed to make those dances woman. Dancing our narratives has become an imperative, a tactic to both survive and thrive.

As this imperative develops, it is my intention to invest in the women of SLMDances. Some months ago, I came across the phrase: "deep sisterhood as a tool for social change." It resonated, deeply. This is how we function as a company - we invest in one another, we honor and celebrate each other's brilliance - and it brings me the greatest joy.

Sisterhood reveals itself in a myriad of ways: Two or more dancers sit after rehearsal to chant and meditate together. "Happy Birthday!" Trading recipes. A small plant is a gift for encouragement. We are trading body work services. Helping one another organize our home and personal lives. "Hey, just texting to see how you're doing?" "Hey girl, there's a job a think you'd be great for." We are borrowing books from her bookshelf. "If I cook you dinner, will you comb my hair?"

Each of these interactions is a small miracle. That space between women is magic. It's Purple, just like Auntie Alice wrote to us so many years ago. That's where there is God. Spirit. True Love.

Every time we share our dances we invite people into this. During the making of The Window Sex Project, we developed a series of phrases, "I see you. I support you. I lift you up." What started as a choreographic text has evolved into a mantra, an affirmation that we live. It is because we recognize each other, that we trust one other to move through the unknown. We are free to take risks because we know our sisters are there to catch us.


We are probably not the only ones doing this... I hope we aren't, but...

I am naming it. I am acknowledging it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is wonderful. Keep sharing, caring and giving life to each other.

Unknown said...

This is wonderful. Keep sharing, caring and giving life to each other.

Samantha said...

Professional development is an important part of our working life. In this point of your this an precious contribution obviously. After going thorugh the article I came to learn something more that i had not before.So, cordial thanks for such an brilliant writing and sharing for us. 여우알바 유흥알바

Nancy said...

Brilliant work. Life is something more to do. In this wonderful article professional development term is explained in so nice way. I admire the author's great effort. Keep it up. I would like to came back here again for the next update. 유흥알바

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin