Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The dream is the truth. Part 2: And we're off!

fru⋅i⋅tion

[froo-ish-uhn] –noun
1. attainment of anything desired; realization; accomplishment: After years of hard work she finally brought her idea to full fruition.
2. enjoyment, as of something attained or realized.
3. state of bearing fruit.

man⋅i⋅fest

[man-uh-fest]–verb (used with object)
3. to make clear or evident to the eye or the understanding; show plainly: He manifested his approval with a hearty laugh.
4. to prove; put beyond doubt or question: The evidence manifests the guilt of the defendant.



If you knew me in high school then you knew me as a bookworm, a dancer, and an over achiever. It manifested my senior year. Senior Outreach is a rite of passage at Roland Park Country School, where each student takes on some kind of service learning project or internship of her choosing for the last two weeks of school prior to graduation. I chose to choreograph/curate and produce an hour long dance concert. Did I say I was an over achiever?

At 17 years old, I headed up a serious operation in which I: auditioned/choreographed/rehearsed dancers, secured a theater venue, found lighting and sound designers/operators, raised funds (via donations and ticket sales), handled marketing and publications, and am I forgetting anything else? I enlisted the help and support of literally everyone I knew, and in two months produced a concert for one night only with a packed house. I had to do more to produce that concert than I had to do for my MFA Thesis concert in Iowa.

I explain all that to say, that I haven't come into this current moment in time lightly or on a whim. I've been thinking about dancing and making dances as a career since I was at least 14 years old. A decade later, here I am in New York City with my first opportunity to present my work professionally. How am I feeling? Beyond ecstatic. And a great sense of responsibility.

To whom much is given, much is required.

More details to come. But save the dates for end of April/beginning of May to come witness my choreographic debut. Ow!

1 comment:

AWT said...

congratulations! this is so exciting! yay for my strong beautiful boss women!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin