Friday, March 20, 2009

Rory got into Harvard.

Sydnie got into Barnard.


These statements may not seem related, but anyone who knows me understands the seemingly divine connection it represents.

Gilmore Girls, the popular WB turned CW network dramedy has pretty much been a constant in my life since it aired in 2000. I was in 10th grade, just like its 16 year old protagonist, Rory Gilmore. In the show's first few episodes I became acquainted with Rory who like me, was attending a prep school in order to challenge her intellectual curiousity and ensure that she would be able to attend the college of her choice. While this provided the intrigue to start watching the show, the hook came in the form of its fast paced and witty dialogue with references from ancient history to popular culture that I didn't always get; its quirky characters in a charming New England setting that I'd never experienced; and its dramatic (romantic) plotlines that were way more interesting than my own life.

And for all the differences between myself, family, friends and the show's main characters, I have always felt this strange E.T. kind of connection to the show. You know how when E.T. drinks all those beers while he's at home by hisself and Elliot feels drunk all of sudden while he's sitting at his desk in school? Yeah, that weird kind of connection.

Since Christmas I've been reliving the experiences that I had with Rory through the dvd's: the stress of the college process, stressing yet exceling in a rigorous academic program, graduation, picking a college, going to college and experiencing it to the fullest etc. etc. And would you believe, in the final episode even Rory goes to Iowa?

I say all this to say that I'm wondering if there is anyone else out there who has a favorite television show, or maybe even movie, that they really connect with? Has there ever been a show that has even connected you to other people? I've made and maintained friendships through weekly "Gilmore Girls dates." And for the Gilmore Girls-haters, because I know there are plenty of you out there, what turns you off about the show? Is it a lack of connection or relate-ability?

After just watching several episodes, I'm just wondering...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin